The palazzo is one of the most important fifteenth-century residences in Reggio Emilia. Francesco da Mosto, a high ducal official, purchased it in 1472 and transformed it from a house into a palace.
Beginning in 1488 the palazzo was enlarged and modified in the style attributed to the school of Ferrara architect Biagio Rossetti. It is now owned and was recently restored by Fondazione Manodori.
On Francesco’s death, the palazzo changed hands a number of times until it was acquired in 1857 by Pietro Manodori, at that time mayor of Reggio Emilia. He purchased it from the Greppi counts of Milan with the intention of opening it as a free kindergarten for all children.
Throughout the twentieth century the building was a laboratory for important pedagogical innovations designed to keep pace with the social changes taking place. The Manodori Kindergarten was open until 1991.
The fine cornice on the main façade is decorated with terracotta tondi depicting male heads.
The main staircase leading from the internal courtyard to the arched loggia, and from there to the main floor, was added to the simpler nucleus in the eighteenth century. The base of the staircase was originally adorned by two stone dogs, now preserved in the Palazzo dei Musei.
The pavements and floor levels in the basements are from the medieval period.
The palazzo contains a number of ancient painted wooden chests and traces of the original pictorial decorations.
Nowadays, Palazzo da Mosto is a meeting place dedicated to the social and cultural life of the community.
Fondazione Palazzo Magnani © 2020 all rights reserved | P.IVA 02456050356